Monday 5 October 2009

£5 for a croissant?!

Why do I feel so uncomfortable being treated so well?

A well dressed polite lady shows me to my seat in Harrods restaurant. I’ve taken a look at the menu and panic rushes through me as I realise I can afford NOTHING in front of me. Looking at the “special offer” advertised in front of me, £14.50 for chicken and mushroom soup. Its daylight robbery! Oh the life of a student. I break out in a sweat feeling eyes on me from all angles. Think Hannah think. Aha! I spot the croissant for a fiver- it had better be the most amazing croissant I have ever tasted.



Crunch. Disappointing. Dry, and rather small if you ask me. I slipped the tiny jar of jam I got given with it into my bag – I was going to get my money’s worth.

Even now I’m panicking. How long is it acceptable to sit in Harrods restaurant after you have paid the bill (no tip might I add). “Is there anything else you want” translates as “You have only brought a croissant, you slipped the jam in your bag and you’re drinking your own water- get the hell out you cheapskate”. I make my way out and stop into Asda on my way home.

No comments: