Monday 2 November 2009

"Dirty Old Hags Like Her Always Have Itchy Tummies"

Last night as poured out my bowl of Cheerio’s, I noticed The Twits book sitting inside the box.



Roald Dahl always has and always will be my favourite author. He is most probably responsible for my love of writing now. I grew up engrossed in The Witches, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Magic Finger, Esio Trot, Matilda and the BFG just to name a few. I made it my personal mission to make sure I read them all. With his witty way of writing and funny made up words he stood out from all other children’s authors.

I couldn’t help but sit and read The Twits all over again and it was just as good as when I read it as a child. It’s about a nutty old couple who hate children, animals and most of all each other. I thought I’d share my favourite bit of the book with you.

“Mrs Twit was no better than her husband. She did not, of course, have a hairy face. It was a pity she didn’t because that at any rate would have hidden some of her ugliness. Take a look at her.



Have you ever seen a woman with an uglier face than that? I doubt it. But the funny thing is that Mrs Twit wasn’t born ugly. She’d had quite a nice face when she was young. The ugliness had grown upon her year by year as she got older.

Why would that happen? I’ll tell you why. If a person has ugly thoughts, it begins to show on the face. And when that person has ugly thoughts every day, every week, every year, the face gets uglier and uglier until it gets so ugly you can hardly bear to look at it.

A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out like sunbeams and you will always look lovely”.

Even now you can learn so much from him. Roald Dahl’s kindness and love for children shone out in all of his books.

1 comment:

kayleigh Baker said...

I LOVE this man! he made my childhood too lol xx